Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Picked my Rehab Battle

I actually got to bake cookies today. Yep. They took me into a non-modified kitchen and had me bake a dozen oatmeal chocolate chip cookies to see if not only I wouldn't burn myself, but burn the place down as well. Big whoop. I can bake a dozen cookies sitting in a chair. I know, I know, crappy attitude, but seriously. Who cares if I can bake a dozen cookies sitting in a chair? My daughter could do that by the time she was 6. Of course, instead of sitting in a wheelchair she was sitting on a stool in the kitchen, but she was sitting none the less and had the same amount of direct supervision that I had today. The only positive is that they put another check mark next to my name: Able to transfer from chair to bed using sliding board (check), able to transfer to toilet (check), able to transfer to and from passenger seat of van without landing on ass in parking lot (check), able to put cookie sheet in and remove from hot oven without burning self or setting rehab hospital on fire (check, check, check). They had my case conference today (which of course neither myself nor my husband was invited to attend). The end result is that they ordered the brace for my foot and ankle, they ordered a slide board for home, they ordered a wheelchair lift for the van (Of course the insurance company won't pay a dine for that), the ordered all kinds of goodies for the bathroom that also isn't covered by insurance and, oh yeah, they decided that my tentative discharge date is Thursday, and I will be wheelchair dependent. So, you know I had to argue with at least one thing, so I dug my heels in and picked my battle. I don't want to be discharged Thursday. I want to go home Tuesday. Period. Why Tuesday you ask. Because we have a very special graduation to attend in Arizona on Thursday and I'm not missing it over two days. If they had decided I needed another week or so of in patient therapy I wouldn't have picked that battle, but two days? Nah, I don't think so. I may be weak and not myself, but I'm going to be there. I'll simply start my outpatient theraphy sooner. So, I'll let you know what the outcome of that is.

2 comments:

Webster said...

Under the circumstances, if you check yourself out AMA, that's it. Perhaps next time they'll consider allowing you and your husband into the case conference to avoid such problems. Hrmph!

JC said...

I remember the rehab kitchen. They had me make tea. You got to make cookies ... I'm Jelly. Course, I went from a wheelchair to a walker ... and did it that way.

I think I told you before but I got myself out of rehab a few days early too.