Sunday, July 26, 2009

We decided to have a wheelchair ramp put in the van to give me more independence. YEAH! It's going to be an electric ramp so I can put it up or down ALONE! Isn't that simply awesome!

I've not been able to get out of the house alone since I ended up in the chair. I can get the manual chair out of the van by myself, but I couldn't lift it to get it back in. I simply don't have the arm strength.

The new chair should be here in the next two weeks or so. Another exciting thing to look forward to. Who would have thought I've ever look forward to being in a wheelchair? However, this is an electric wheelchair which will make getting around a lot easier! I'll post pictures when it arrives.


BTW how the heck do you all post more than one picture an entry? I'm sure it's simple but I can't figure it out.

5 comments:

Living Day to Day with Multiple Sclerosis said...

That is great. It will be nice for you to feel independent. I am excited for you. Question... When you brought up optic neuritis. I don't have any pain. I was told you have pain with that. I am having problems with things appearing closer than they are like the floor or walls, etc... And not able to focus on things like letters or pictures. I responded to you in my blog but you probably didn't go back to check it out so I wanted to see what you had to say. As for adding more pictures... When you add a picture to your blog. You just keep repeating the steps to add more pictures. Let me know if you dont understand. I will explain it differently

Living Day to Day with Multiple Sclerosis said...

Out of curiosity... Did your insurance pay for your wheelchair or did you have to pay for it? I have been thinking about getting one for my bad days or when the family wants to go to festivals or fairs. I can't do long walks. But I can't afford a electric wheelchair.

Kimberly said...

The first couple of times I had optic neuritis I felt like I had been punched in the eye. It was painful, but not bad enough to take anythng more than IBU and steroids. The last bout I had, I never had any pain or warning. I suddenly went blind in my right eye. That's the one that put me in the hospital.

Kimberly said...

Insurance companies WILL pay for electric wheelchairs but before they pay for one a Physiatrist has to declare you completely non-ambulatory. Then you'll still have to fight a bit. They will pay for manual wheelchairs if your Neurologist of Physiatrist says that stamina and fatigue are an issue. Honestly, it was the hospitalization, the rehab and how poorly things came back with my left leg that led me to an electric wheelchair.

Herrad said...

Hi Kimberly,
Great news abou the electric ramp on the van, brilliant.
Love,
Herrad