Wednesday, July 15, 2009

David can still beat Goliath

I had the best day today. After the insurance company denying my power wheel chair and deciding to fight the decision. I received a phone call that the insurance company authorized my power wheelchair and is paying 100% of it. So I went to National Mobility and spent about an hour or so trying out the motorized chairs. (I felt like a kid in an amusement park). I also learned A LOT about being in a chair that they didn't even tell me in rehab. First rule: NO JEANS. Apparently the denim material prevents your skin from moving when your sitting. Not good. Creates the perfect scenario for decubitus ulcers to form. (Not on my butt thank you very much).

I saw my Neurologist after I played with the wheelchairs. He says he's keeping my on the steroids another 6 weeks. I am so bloated with being on them since April. I don't even recognize myself when I look in the mirror. At least I know I WILL be off of them soon. He also took me off the Rebif (Thank God) and put me on Copaxone. The side effects of the Rebif are just too brutal for me.

All in all in was a great day all around.

1 comment:

MS. ME said...

I will warn you that the first few rounds of Copaxone shots leave a pretty nasty welp and burn but it will get better! Have some anti-itch cream handy, too. It all goes away after the first few weeks but that's the absolute WORST of it that I've had! I've been on it for 2 1/2 years now and I think it's working (the MRIs confirm it right now!) I was scared of needles prior to MS Dx - at least it's cured me of that!! AHAHHAH Post a pic of the wheels you pick out!! Do you get to pick the color?