Tuesday, July 21, 2009

All we have is hope.

I chose this topic after reading another bloggers entry from today. She had a particularly brutal Doctors appointment. Not because she heard much that was really new to her, but because she was forced to really start accepting her disease. She had managed to put a little bit of a buffer between herself and the true acceptance that SHE has MS.

We all did that. Some manage to do it for years. Perfectly natural, perfectly normal. There are many days that I wish I could go back in time to when I thought they were wrong, or while I had MS I had a "mild" case and it would never be more than an inconvenience.

Apparently she and I share more than just an MS diagnosis. We also appear to be in that 20% of MSers that continue to progress. Lucky us. You would think that with odds like that we could manage to do fairly well in Vegas, but I digress.

All I can say to her is this: Be angry, you have every right to be, cry, curse, yell and scream, but, NEVER allow someone to take your hope from you. Often that's all I've had that has kept me going. The hope that tomorrow will be a little better than today, that someday they WILL find not only the cause, but the cure as well. When it comes right down to it we have NO control over our disease. NONE. What we do have control over is how we react to it, treat it and accept it. None of them very easy things to do, especially if you don't have hope.

Know that you have a large circle of faceless support all around the world pulling for you, saying prayers for you, even as we ourselves battle MS. Hang in there. Tomorrow WILL be a better day.

3 comments:

Living Day to Day with Multiple Sclerosis said...

Kimberly,
Thank You! And very nicely put!! As I woke up this morning, I am trying to look at yesterday as an eye opener but also trying to get back the hope I had 2 days ago before the appointment. I know what the Dr. said was a reality check but I need to get that fight back in me.
Thank You again so much!

Herrad said...

Hi Kimberly,
Agree with what you have said about not letting anyone take hope away.
That is all we have hope tomorrow will be better and sometimes it is better.
Have a good afternoon/evening.
Love,
Herrad

Mike said...

Oh I saw this quote and it so applies to all of us with MS but certainly to Tara (I will re-post this on her blog). The site I saw it at attributed it to Bernice Johnson Reagon (http://www.bernicejohnsonreagon.com/) but I am not sure. Not that it matters, it is still one hell of a thought.

“Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they're supposed to help you discover who you are.”