Wednesday, July 29, 2009

There is more to life ......

than MS. So after this sentence I will not mention MS or it's symptoms. Gonna be tough but I'm going to try and see if it's even possible.

The weather here for the past month has been unbearable. 90+ degree weather almost everyday. As we live in the mountains at 4000 feet, that's really hot for us. Although, there are those that love the heat. Like the kids running the lemonade stand over the weekend. LOL

We're heading out for the family reunion on Sunday. I'm really looking forward to it, even though this is only the third one I will have attended. (It's my husbands family and even though we were together several years before we got engaged the rule is "No ring, not attending". I think it's actually a pretty neat rule. That way it really IS a FAMILY reunion and you don't have to look at the pictures in 10 years and try to remember the name of the bimbo Uncle Frank brought that year (I apologize to all the Uncle Franks out there).

Speaking of family. I've been incredibly lucky with mine. My sister is simply da bomb. Of course next week we could be fighting like two wet cats with our poor mother trying to intervene like she did when I was 9 and my sister was two, eating the feet off my Barbies (YES YOU REALLY DID THAT). Gee, imagine what those Barbies would be worth today.

I also have an awesome brother that I don't believe I have ever mentioned in a blog. (There are three of us, with me being oldest). Being the middle child he was always (and still is) the peace maker. Of course, even as a child he was wise enough NOT to get in the middle of two sisters fighting. Now that I think about it, he being the middle child between two GIRLS may be the reason he's a man of few words today. He could never get a word in edge wise when he was a kid. My brother and I got along pretty well growing up. Although I do remember us going around a time or two. Because we were closer in age we tended to just punch each other. Then my mother would spank us because we whomped each other, and when I say whomped I mean the bloody nose type of serious whomping. (Secretly, it was worth it though).

I'm probably one of the few people I know my age (47) whose parents are both still living AND still married. TO EACH OTHER. I don't know how they did it, but I'm awfully glad that they did.

Are there any other crafters out there? I use the Cricut. I've pretty well limited myself to cards for now. There were several months when I didn't touch my machine or do any crafting. My husband made the comment that he was glad to see me back at it over the weekend. Now I just have to come up with some creative ideas. Anybody got any?

Well, hot...ummm....diggidy. I do believe I did an entire entry without ONCE mentioning........

8 comments:

kmilyun said...

Not a crafter(is that a word?) but I am 51 and my parents are both living and still married to each other.

Now that we have the new central air and heat installed it has been fairly cool around here.

LA Nickers said...

Yes! More to life than MS. There is power in perspective, right?

Gee, we have seen so many paramours come and go at family reunions. Maybe you are onto something. ;-)

Kimberly said...

I think it's a word LOL....at least it passes through spell check! We are such a rarety to see folks middle aged with folks still married to each other. I couldn't live without central A/C!

Kimberly said...

I think it's ALL about perspective. We're all going to have bad days.....we just can't allow those bad days turn into bad weeks then months.

Sheila said...

Wow. I was diagnosed Jan. 18, 2008 and keep hoping that today will be the day that I don't think about or talk about multiple sclerosis. I'm not sure I've had one yet. Thanks for the inspiration.

PS: I'm a crafter but yarn and hopefully soon to be fabric are my materials of choice.

Kimberly said...

Sheila,
I don't think it's possible to have an entire day when you don't think about MS. We have to remember to take our medications, we have a muscle spasm or we lose our balance. The thing is to learn to live your life and NOT the MS no matter what it throws at you. Keep crafting!

Anonymous said...

I was an avid crafter/artist; however, "lovely" MS took away the use of my right hand. I still long to pick up some clay and sculpt, or apply some paint to a canvas, or pull out my counted cross stitch materials and create a new picture, or knit/crochet. I, like you, enjoy making cards, but I use the computer now. I'd love to try the cricut.
Muff

Kimberly said...

Muff,
Have you tried to do any sculpting with your left hand. I've read about people who have trained themdselves to use their non dominant hand. The Cricut is great. I started with the snall Cricut machine and I just bought the Expression last week. I'm still learning about everything it can do, but I love it so far.