Tuesday, June 16, 2009

As Paul Harvey used to say, "And now the rest of the story"


As you all know I went through a terrible exacerbation starting April 26th. (I don't think I'll ever forget that date). I ended up hospitalized, transferred from our local hospital to a hospital in Bakersfield and then into a Rehab facility. I'm still going through outpatient PT and struggling. I 0ften don't know which causes me the most frustration: Not being able to understand folks (especially instructions) due to my lack of hearing, my back pain, or all the symptoms from the MS itself. I just focus on doing the best I can with what I have to work with. I feel like I'm hoisting my own petard up, and as we all know that doesn't work for long. I know my butt is simply too big for my arm to hold it up for very long.


Anyway, while the majority of my vision has returned I'm still having A LOT of trouble with my near vision. Reading is exhausting and even typing is a real challenge. Hence one of the reason's I'm not blogging as much.


I went to see my Opthomologist last Friday. I REALLY like him. He's got a great bedside manner, yet doesn't pull any punches. Which, is what I want and NEED. Someone who WILL be totally honest but wraps the fist in velvet as it's swung towards you. He says I still have active optic neuritis in the right eye (keep in mind I'm still on 40mg of Prednisolone every day). He also said that the reason that I am having such a hard time with my near vision is that he muscles that help focus the near vision are paralyzed. He compared it to a zoom camera lens. The lens zooms out great, but when it comes to retracting it can't. Basically, there is nothing he can do. We have to wait and see what healing time does, and no, a change in glasses won't help. Thankfully I can se with my glasses anything further out than about 10 inches so driving isn't a problem.


No wonder I'm angry. I can't hear, now I've lost part of my vision and I'm losing my mobility. Yeah haw. Thankfully, I'm over the feeling sorry for myself stage. I'm just good and pissed off now. Fortunately, I have the type of personality that when I'm pissed, it just makes me more determined to beat whatever the challenge is. That, and read Job AGAIN.
I have an appointment with my Neurologist tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes. Until then...be well!

1 comment:

JC said...

I'm giving you a 'virtual' HUG ..